Monday, February 20, 2012

Making a Lodgepole Pine tree in HO scale - Part 1

A little while ago I saw a picture of a train rolling through a stand of lodge-pole pines.  Right there and then I knew I needed a bunch, and after finding the price of good ones set at $25 - 75 it was easy to figure out I needed to win the lottery or work out how to make them.
After doing a bunch of research (Google is your friend) I started to assemble multiple ways to make these trees.  So I will start trying these techniques and document the process and successes/challenges here.
First I am working in HO scale (1:87) and wanted a tree over 80' tall.  This works out to about a foot tall.  Scale has the trunk about 1/2" in diameter.
1. raw materials - wood - I initially bought 1 each of the following 3 options
  - 1/2" square balsa wood (came in 2' lengths)
  - 1/2" square base wood (also came in 2' lengths)
  - 1/2" pine dowel (3' length)
2. raw materials - caspia basil fern - dried
  - Michiels - What I found at the one closest was real dry and real beat up.  I got a pretty nice discount so I bought one bundle.
  - Local flower shop - WOW much better quality.  Bought a few sprigs.
3. other items needed:
  - rubbing alcohol
  - india ink
  - spritzer
  - white glue
  - 2 sealable low priced rubermades (I chose 3"x5"x3")
  - ground foam
  - Spray paint (medium dark flat green)
  - super glue
  - dark oak stain
4. other items needed
  - small cutter (I used an electronic sized diagonal cutter)
  - dental probe (needle on a stick, I prefer over a small drill)
  - wax paper to dry glued or stained items
  - water to dilute the white glue
  - wood block to hold tree trunk when in process
  - razor knife

 Next posting is making a trunk.



No comments:

Post a Comment