Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Lodgepole Pines part 3 - Getting Needled

Toughest part of this is getting good material to work with.  One source that was recommended was Michaels. The first bunch of dried caspia basil fern I found was nothing more than green sticks with a large bunch of busted up stuff in the bottom.  I found another bunch that was better, but that is only in comparison to the first one.  Give them credit I got 50% off because of the poor quality.  Later I discovered the local floral place would sell me some of the caspia they had.  Got nicer stuff and about the same number of good branches for the same price of $3.   Add to that the floral place sprayed the caspia Moss Green which is a pretty close match to what I was looking for.  Plus it covered any undesired coloration.
Now to prepare to make the branches:
With my teflon sheet pan MIA I grabbed a sheet of wax paper from the kitchen so the glue would not stick to anything.  I took one sealable rubbermade and filled it with the ground foam.  The second I put in 1 part of white glue and 4 parts water, takes a little mixing to smooth out the solution.
Once set it was time to cut branches.  Since I was going to need lengths ranging from 1/3" to 3" for the size tree I wanted.  After cutting a few I started dipping the branch end into the glue, allowing it to drip off a little, then into the foam.  I knocked off extra foam by holding the branch and tapping that hand with a finger from the other.  This way I was not knocking the branch directly preserving it a little.
Once foamed, I set them on the wax paper foam up.
I couple tips -
1. you do not have to completely soak the branch in glue, just the ends where you want foam (simulated pine needles).
2. If you do not like the look of the medium foam, try the fine.
3. find a color of spray paint for the branches that works with the type of tree you are working on and use it allowing plenty of dry time.
4. cut the branches longer than you really need. you can always cut them down for a specific spot.
5. don't be affraid to use both fine and medium foam, or 2 colors.

Next step is to assemble the tree.


No comments:

Post a Comment