Monday, February 20, 2012

Introduction to the Blog

General subject matter of this blog will be what Steve and I do to create our model railroad.  I will list several locations on the net where we are posting pics of what we have worked on.

Steve got the OK from his better half (always a very good idea) to convert one basement room into a layout.  It is a L shaped room about 16' on a long side.  If we stretch out all the sides it would go about 60'
We are both movie buffs so we decided putting in pieces of some of our favorite movies.  e.g. The Princess Bride.  We are naming the end helixs Mount Gilder and Mount Floren (and yes there will be a cliffs of insanity).

As of today we have the base bench work completed using a L-girder method.  We have set and removed several roadbed types.  Not sure what the final will be, but.......
I will also talk about how I take pics of the various parts of the layouts - what technique I used to take a shot of.....

One of the biggest items we have run into, and probably one most modelers do, is cost to buy everything pre-built.  I will cover several techniques I have or will try to make various trees, buildings, scenery items, other various items that can help minimize costs.

One item I want to cover here is I have done hours of research online, watches lots of how to videos, and talked to many people who have been working on their layouts.  I am not directly copying anyone's material more of my combining all the gleaned wisdom and experience and my own and summarizing here.  I will post some of the many sources (ones I can remember) in a post shortly.

Feel free to use any and all I post in your layout, and if you do write something and do remember me as a source a quick reference would be appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment