Sunday, March 18, 2012

Creating out of cheap stuff - The chain link fence

In doing research I saw a bit of information I wanted to try.  A how to make a good looking chain link fence.

I got 1/16" polystyrene rods (I know not scale but anything smaller would be real tough to work with first go) for the fence posts and rails.  I went down to the local river area and gathered small rounded rocks of varying sizes 1/4" to 1/2" and I made a run down to the local Michaels to buy a childs wedding veil and a can of aluminum colored spray paint.

I already had a hardwood tree made and the needed ground cover for a small grass hill.

I first grabbed a block of Styrofoam for the test, about a 6"x6" was super.  I wanted to have a hill and a reason for the fence so I wanted to have a rock retaining wall with either a future creek, road, or rail line would run.
I mixed the plaster up and created a mound with a sharp drop off of about 1" to the front.
Once set I drilled holes the size of the pipes about 8' in scale apart.  I cut off the vertical posts and smoothed the cut ends putting in a slight depression to help hold the horizontal pole.  They were glued into the holes to be about 1" above the plaster.  I slowly glued the horizontal pole in place one post at a time.

Once set it was time to paint the poles and initial brown of the ground.

Next step I did was the retaining wall.  I slowly stacked rocks until I got the look and feel I was looking for.  Once all was in place white glue (full strength) was poured behind the rocks a little at a time until the whole wall was secure.  Another glue would have probably worked better but it was late and I was not looking to go shopping.

I followed standard grass laying techniques with the color and styles of green ground foam.  I then cut a strip of wedding veil just slightly wider than the fence was tall.  Just a little as I would match it up at the top and could add taller grass/bushes at the bottom if the fence did not make it all the way down.
I did a quick spray of the aluminum color to the veil and attached after the paint was quite dry.  Standard styrene glue worked super for this as it did for the rails.
I added a few touches and shot the pics - Couple trees, park bench, and man sitting on the wall.  I added some taller shoots of grass in the rocks and a couple weeds.  For a real layout I would work more on the appearance of the wall by finding one similar and shoot some pics to compare to.

If you look closely at the above pic you can see the fence and it looks fairly real.  Not to bad for a quick evening slam it together to see how ti looks thing.

FYI - I took the shots on my kitchen island.  The overhead lights actually added a nice touch of what looks like the suns shadow under the tree.  Sometimes it is better to be lucky than good......




No comments:

Post a Comment